[openstack-dev] [all] re-introducing twisted to global-requirements

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 19:08:04 UTC 2016

On 01/07/2016 07:38 PM, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 07:18:15PM -0500, Jay Pipes wrote:

>>> I tend to think our REST APIs are much more stable than internal python
>>> APIs, and so we can manage the divergence much easier.
>>>
>>> Also, mimic can simulate:
>>>
>>> * old versions (less needed with all the microversion stuff)
>>> * old bugs that were shipped
>>> * misconfigurations
>>> * networking errors
>>> * the passage of time (including timeouts)
>>>
>>> We probably don't want to keep a catalog of old bugs and misconfigurations in
>>> tree forever.

>>> Testing the full stack of the client instead of mocking the bottom
>>> half of requests is a big one.
>>>
>>> Lekha and Glyph gave a talk on Mimic in Paris; it may be enlightening.
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKUUQme3dwA
>>
>> OK, I just watched that. Sorry, still don't see the value that Mimic
>> provides over unit testing the client interfaces and mocking out the HTTP
>> payloads so you have strict control over the expectations.
>>
>> The problem that Glyph noted in the video about the unit test that mocked
>> out os.chdir to improperly return a value isn't solved whatsoever by Mimic,
>> so I find it odd that that example was used in discussing the value of
>> Mimic. Bad mocks are just that: bad mocks. The same false positive failure
>> could easily be introduced with a typo in the "metadata injection" that
>> Mimic does to inject failures into the system.
>>
>> Mimic isn't testing anything on the server side at all so I'm not sure why
>> folks call it "integration testing". It isn't testing the integration of
>> anything at all. All it enables is multi-language client library testing,
>> and see my response to Ben, the surface area it introduces for bugs in the
>> test platform itself in my opinion outweigh the multi-language value it
>> might have.
>
> FWIW, I've only been calling it functional testing. I also don't care
> about the multi-language parts here. The sole purpose we have for mimic
> (so far) is to functionally test python-ironicclient without mocking the
> world in ironicclient.
>
>> Final question on this... if Mimic is *only* for testing clients, why not
>> make it just a dependency for python-ironicclient and not ironic itself?
>
> We haven't made it a dep for anything yet, only added to g-r.

According to Dims, not to g-r, but to u-c, right Dims? Not sure if that
makes functionally any difference, though (pun intended).

> However, now that you mention that, a really ambitious goal would be to
> add a rabbit interface to mimic, and functionally test the API server
> (that it sends the right messages, etc). Another would be to mimic
> (Neutron, Glance) and test Ironic by itself.

So you would reimplement AMQP communication protocols using an in-memory
data store for queues. Sounds like an even greater surface area for bugs
to be introduced.

> Last, I frankly don't understand why there's
> such heavy opposition to the ironic team using an additional tool for
> testing.

Since you asked, I'll be blunt. This isn't a personal attack on you,
Jim, though.

a) Because it fractures the testing and QA processes used by upstream
contributors that work on OpenStack projects by requiring them to learn
another system -- and one that potentially would require them to
understand a whole new surface area for potential bugs

b) Because it represents yet another RAX-driven divergence in the QA
space. CloudCafe took essentially all of the RAX folks that were at one
point working on Tempest and upstream QA and siloed them into a totally
different organization, in true RAX fashion. Instead of pulling the
OpenStack QA community along together, RAX QA continues to just do its
own thing and there's still bitterness on the tips of tongues.

<snip>

> There was *more* than sufficient time for "I don't think this is useful"
> to be posted on the review.

Sorry, this was the first I'd heard of it all.

 > If anyone has a hard technical reason why
> mimic should not be used to test an OpenStack project, I'm happy to
> listen. Otherwise I'd like to work on actually getting things done.

I've listed my hard technical reason: it introduces, IMHO, too large of
a surface area for bugs to creep in to the testing process versus the
benefit it provides.

Best,
-jay