[openstack-dev] The command "neutron-db-manage" of 8.0.0~b1 fails

Martinx - ジェームズ thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 03:57:35 UTC 2016

On 4 January 2016 at 01:28, Mike Bayer <mbayer at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/03/2016 05:15 PM, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>>  I'm trying to experiment Mitaka on Ubuntu Xenial, which already have
>> beta version on its repositories, however, "neutron-db-manage" fails.
>>
>>  Here is the output of it:
>>
>>  http://paste.openstack.org/show/482920/
>>
>>  Any clue?
>
> this is a new error added to MySQL as of version 5.6.7:
>
> https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/error-messages-server.html#error_er_fk_column_cannot_change
>
> some discussion is at http://stackoverflow.com/a/17019351/34549.
>
> the issue here is either that the table contains NULL values or that the
> BIGINT datatype is not compatible with the column to which the foreign
> key refers.
>
> This error looks familiar but I don't recall if I saw it specific to
> Neutron already having this issue before.

Wow! Thank you! It is working now!

What I did?

To turn off foreign key constraint globally, by running directly on
MySQL root shell:

SET GLOBAL FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0;

and remember to set it back when you are done... Then, neutron-db-manage worked!

su -s /bin/sh -c "neutron-db-manage --config-file
/etc/neutron/neutron.conf --config-file
/etc/neutron/plugins/ml2/ml2_conf.ini upgrade head" neutron

After that, I re-enabled foreign_key_checks:

SET GLOBAL FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=1;

Apparently, people will face this problem while trying Mitaka on
Xenial... Isn't "neutron-db-manage" aware of this new feature /
situation of MySQL 5.6?

Should I fill a bug report on Launchpad about this?

Continuing my tests now...   :-D

Thanks again!
Thiago