[openstack-dev] How do I calculate the semantic version prior to a release?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Feb 26 11:29:53 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Neil Jerram's message of 2016-02-26 11:13:52 +0000:
> I understand the semantic versioning algorithm for calculating a new
> version.  But what do I run, in a git repository, to do that calculation
> for me, and output:
>
> - the new semantic version that would be used if I asked for a formal
> release to PyPI

I'm not sure what you mean? Do you want to know the next version
to use for a package with unreleased changes? If so, you need to
look at the changes and do the calculation. We don't have an automated
way to do that. pbr does have some facilities for tagging commits
to indicate their nature [1], but we're not using those in any
projects yet, as far as I know.

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/pbr/#version

> - the corresponding Debian version
>
> - the corresponding RPM version.

After a tag is in place to indicate the version using Python's syntax,
pbr knows how to convert that to other versioning schemes, but I don't
see an obvious way to do it from the command line. Maybe one of our pbr
contributors or downstream packagers can help with more info there.

Doug