[openstack-dev] How do I calculate the semantic version prior to a release?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Feb 26 18:51:24 UTC 2016

On 27 February 2016 at 00:13, Neil Jerram <Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com> wrote:
> I understand the semantic versioning algorithm for calculating a new
> version.  But what do I run, in a git repository, to do that calculation
> for me, and output:

pbr does that automatically, generating a pre-release version. The
regular part of the version is the lowest version number you can use
that will match the semver rules.

> - the new semantic version that would be used if I asked for a formal
> release to PyPI

We were/are going to add a command to tag for you, but just querying
it would be good too.

> - the corresponding Debian version

I don't think we expose that yet (but we should).

> - the corresponding RPM version.

As already mentioned, the rpm_version command exposes this.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hpe.com>
Distinguished Technologist