[openstack-dev] [all][infra] eventlet 0.18.1 not on PyPi anymore

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Feb 17 22:05:52 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Tony Breeds's message of 2016-02-18 08:04:00 +1100:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:44:11PM -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > Excerpts from Henry Gessau's message of 2016-02-17 11:00:53 -0500:

> > > I can confirm that neutron works with 0.18.2 as far as we know.
> > >

> > Great. If you (or someone else) wants to submit a requirements update, I
> > can approve it. Ping me in #openstack-release.
>
> I think we're in a tough spot.
>
> My $0.02 is that we have to cap at <0.18.0 however ....
>
> We're (the openstack community) finding issues with eventlet which is good
> (painful I agree, but good) for both communities.  However we *are* trying to
> lock down our release, and test/gate failures are very unwelcome in this
> phase.
>
> 0.18.2 was "mostly" good but shows the following bug:
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1544801
>
> The eventlet team have been very responsive to our issue reports.  I'm worried
> if we cap at 0.18.2 (or 0.17.4) the underlying problems will go undressed and
> unnoticed for too long and then we'll all loose :(  Not least of all because
> it's *very* likely if we cap this we'll release with the cap which means we're
> basically stuck with it for the whole life-cycle of mitaka[1][2]

The current plan is to not cap, but exclude the bad versions. The patch
to do that (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/281479/) does set the
constraint to 0.18.2, so if we need to change that please drop a comment
on the review.

> Calls for "extra vetting" of new eventlet releases are slightly problematic,
> and really require a short cross-project team to verify, as the "Yup is passes
> dsvm-tempest-full" doesn't cut it.

Can we construct a better automated test scenario?

Doug