[openstack-dev] [all][infra] eventlet 0.18.1 not on PyPi anymore

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Wed Feb 17 21:04:00 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:44:11PM -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Henry Gessau's message of 2016-02-17 11:00:53 -0500:
> > Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> > > Excerpts from Morgan Fainberg's message of 2016-02-17 07:10:34 -0800:

> > > OK. Can someone from the neutron team verify that 0.18.2 works? If so,
> > > we can just exclude 0.18.3 and reset the constraint.
> >
> > I can confirm that neutron works with 0.18.2 as far as we know.
> >

> Great. If you (or someone else) wants to submit a requirements update, I
> can approve it. Ping me in #openstack-release.

I think we're in a tough spot.

My $0.02 is that we have to cap at <0.18.0 however ....

We're (the openstack community) finding issues with eventlet which is good
(painful I agree, but good) for both communities.  However we *are* trying to
lock down our release, and test/gate failures are very unwelcome in this
phase.

0.18.2 was "mostly" good but shows the following bug:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1544801

The eventlet team have been very responsive to our issue reports.  I'm worried
if we cap at 0.18.2 (or 0.17.4) the underlying problems will go undressed and
unnoticed for too long and then we'll all loose :(  Not least of all because
it's *very* likely if we cap this we'll release with the cap which means we're
basically stuck with it for the whole life-cycle of mitaka[1][2]

Calls for "extra vetting" of new eventlet releases are slightly problematic,
and really require a short cross-project team to verify, as the "Yup is passes
dsvm-tempest-full" doesn't cut it.

Yours Tony.

[1] Given we're @ R-7 and requirements freeze is R-5
[2] Assuming we cap at <0.18.0, we don't generally allow raising the minimum
    version of $library in a stable release