[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] "No Open Core" in 2016

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Feb 16 17:41:38 UTC 2016

On 02/16/2016 03:15 PM, Sean M. Collins wrote:
> Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Oh, that, and ... not using CassandraDB. And yes, this thread is a good
>> place to have this topic. I'm not sure who replied to me this thread
>> wasn't the place to discuss it: I respectfully disagree, since it's
>> another major blocker, IMO as important, if not more, as using a free
>> software CDN solution.
>
> Let's handle the policy implications discussed in this thread before we
> dive into the "don't use this component that I dislike" bikeshed.

s/I dislike/is not free software/ [*]

It's not a mater of taste. Having Poppy requiring a non-free component,
even indirectly (ie: the Oracle JVM that CassandraDB needs), makes it
non-free.

Ensuring we really only accept free software is not a bikeshed color
discussion, it is really important. And that's the same topic as using
non-free CDN solution (see below).

On 02/11/2016 08:03 PM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 11/02/16 17:31 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> I'm not sure who replied to me this thread
>> wasn't the place to discuss it: I respectfully disagree
>
> This thread is to talk about the *open core* issue.

Yeah, correct: open core. So we're discussing the freeness of software
we can accept. That's right on topic to me. Its dependencies, being
remote (ie: commercial CDNs) *OR* local (CassandraDB, and therefore the
Oracle JVM) are both non-free. And in fact, local dependencies which
someone would actually need to install on his computer, are even more
important than the remote ones.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)