[openstack-dev] Use of restricted and multiverse in the gate

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Feb 8 01:13:29 UTC 2016

On 02/07/2016 12:56 PM, Jim Meyer wrote:
>> On Feb 7, 2016, at 6:11 AM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> We're working on getting per-region APT mirrors stood up for the nodepool nodes to use in the gate. As part of working on this, it struck me that we currently have restricted and multiverse enabled in our sources.list file.
>>
>> I ran a quick test of removing both of them on a devstack-gate change and nothing broke, so I believe that it would be safe to remove them, but I thought I'd check with everyone.
>
> Is there an easy way to enable it on a per-project basis? Curious what recourse there is for a project which discovers a dependency and needs to buy a bit of time to resolve it.

Great question.

It's totally easy - such a project can drop a file in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d as part of their devstack plugin before stuff
gets installed - it just won't have an infra-run per-cloud-region mirror
to use - but the logic to create a file that points to each cloud
provider's mirror is also pretty simple and the necessary data is on
each nodepool node.

In fact, os-ansible-deployment does this already:

https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ansible/blob/master/scripts/gate-check-commit.sh#L62-L93

(the cloud mirrors are probably fine for projects in this situation.
They're not good enough for the overall gate frequency which is why
we're spinning up our own designed-for-gate versions - but when you're
not running 10k builds a day against them, the failure rate on the cloud
mirrors is totally acceptable)

Monty