[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Integrating physical appliance into virtual infrastructure

Gal Sagie gal.sagie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 14:07:52 UTC 2016

There is a project that aims at solving your use cases (at least from a
general view)
Its called L2GW and uses OVSDB Hardware VTEP schema (which is supported by
many physical appliances for switching capabilities)

Some information: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/L2-GW

There are also other possible solutions, depending what you are trying to
do and what is the physical applicance job.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Vijay Venkatachalam <
Vijay.Venkatachalam at citrix.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
>

> How to integrate a physical appliance into the virtual OpenStack
> infrastructure (with L2 population)? Can you please point me to any
> relevant material.
>

> We want to add the capability to “properly” schedule the port on the
> physical appliance, so that the rest of the virtual infrastructure knows
> that a new port is scheduled in the physical appliance.  How to do this?
>

> We manage the appliance through a middleware. Today, when it creates a
> neutron port, that is to be hosted on the physical appliance, the port is
> dangling.  Meaning, the virtual infrastructure does not know where this
> port is hosted/implemented. How to fix this?
>

> Also, we want the physical appliance plugged into L2 population mechanism.
> Looks like the L2 population driver is distributing L2 info to all virtual
> infrastructure nodes where a neutron agent is running. Can we leverage this
> framework? We don’t want to run the neutron agent in the physical
> appliance, can it run in the middle ware?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Vijay V.

Best Regards ,

The G.