[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Integrating physical appliance into virtual infrastructure

Vijay Venkatachalam Vijay.Venkatachalam at citrix.com
Mon Feb 1 13:44:24 UTC 2016

Hi ,

How to integrate a physical appliance into the virtual OpenStack infrastructure (with L2 population)? Can you please point me to any relevant material.

We want to add the capability to "properly" schedule the port on the physical appliance, so that the rest of the virtual infrastructure knows that a new port is scheduled in the physical appliance.  How to do this?

We manage the appliance through a middleware. Today, when it creates a neutron port, that is to be hosted on the physical appliance, the port is dangling.  Meaning, the virtual infrastructure does not know where this port is hosted/implemented. How to fix this?

Also, we want the physical appliance plugged into L2 population mechanism. Looks like the L2 population driver is distributing L2 info to all virtual infrastructure nodes where a neutron agent is running. Can we leverage this framework? We don't want to run the neutron agent in the physical appliance, can it run in the middle ware?

Thanks,
Vijay V.