[openstack-dev] [nova][nova-docker] Time to retire nova-docker?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 13:23:13 UTC 2016

On 12/26/2016 08:23 AM, Esra Celik wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It is very sad to hear nova-docker's retirement. Me and my team (3) are
> working for a cloud computing laboratory and we were very keen on
> working with nova-docker.
> After some research about its current state I saw these mails. Will you
> actually propose another equivalent to nova-docker or is it just the
> lack of contributors to this project?
> Some of the contributors previously advised us the magnum project
> instead of nova-docker, however it does not satisfy our needs because of
> the additional virtualization layer it needs.
> If the main problem is the lack of contributors we may participate in
> this project.

There's never any need to ask permission to contribute to a project :)
If nova-docker driver is something you cannot do without, feel free to
contribute to it.

That said, Magnum does seem to be where most of the docker-related
contributions to the compute landscape have moved. So, it's more likely
you will find company in that project and perhaps be able to make more
effective contributions there. Can I ask what is the "extra
virtualization layer" that you are referring to in Magnum?

Best,
-jay