[openstack-dev] [kolla] kolla-kubernetes needs to sort out what to call our k8s objects

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Wed Dec 21 17:24:07 UTC 2016

Hello folks,

In our team meeting today, I took an action to begin a mailing list discussion around what to call our k8s objects in the kolla-kubernetes deliverable.  At present, we are calling them “pods”.  The general consensus on the team meeting is this is a hard concept for people new to the Kolla project to understand because we are not using pods directly.  Instead we are using a bunch of different k8s objects that morph into k8s PODs internally in Kubernetes.  There was also a general consensus that this problem needs to be solved because it hampers growth of the Kolla community long term as it relates to the kolla-kubernetes deliverable.

There were several suggestions mentioned, however, no decision was made.  I’d encourage individuals interested in solving this problem to respond on this thread with an expansion of the discussion.  The end goal is to determine what to call these k8s object filenames in the repository.

I’d further encourage individuals to read the IRC logs here for full context of the problem in more detail:

Search for this timestamp with your browser:

16:23:26 to 16:36:39

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/kolla/2016/kolla.2016-12-21-16.00.log.html

Happy holidays ☺

Regards