[openstack-dev] [neutron][nova][oslo][osprofiler] Next step of OSprofiler

vinhnt at vn.fujitsu.com vinhnt at vn.fujitsu.com
Tue Dec 20 06:53:39 UTC 2016

Hi Rui Wang,

We also recognize the benefit of OSProfiler and are on the way to improve it.

> 1. The integration with neutronclient,
> nova and novaclient has not been done yet.

Yes, the works in Nova are in reviewing but Nova team seems very busy
in this cycle and they want to have more tests before accepting it [1][2].
Progress on support in Neutron client is slow and temporary paused [3].

> 2. The blueprint "osprofiler-overhead-control" is not in progress.
> The spec[1] was workflow -1.
> Does it mean this feature would not been done in Ocata ?

Yes (too), this spec is in progress to finish itself, not the code.
So, I mark it with Workflow -1 to have time to finish it.
Besides, this cycle (Ocata) is very short, I don't think that we have chance
to finish the code for this in O-cycle.

> 3. We need a server/tool to collect and analysis the trace data.
> Should this implemented by OSprofiler,
> or this could be implemented by another project of OSprofiler?

OSProfiler is just a small library that support tracing and profiling requests.
I think OSProfiler should do its job (tracing) only.
Collecting and analyzing should be in other project(s) such as Monasca.
However, this is the next step after completely integrating OSProfiler
in OpenStack.

Thank you for your attention. Hope that we can collaborate in this work! :D

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/254703/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/254699/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/281508/

Best regards,

Vinh Nguyen Trong (IRC, Gerrit: tovin07)
PODC – Fujitsu Vietnam Ltd.