[openstack-dev] Golang technical requirements

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 18:45:07 UTC 2016

I am working on scoping the tasks required for the technical pieces of
Golang adoption in OpenStack.  This work has been informed somewhat by
flaper87's reference doc proposal[0] for new language additions and is
(mostly) compatible with it, pending that proposal's final approval by
the TC.

As a first step, I proposed a Common Testing Interface (CTI)
document[1] for Go.  There is, of course, much more than this,
including a number of significant decisions that still need to be
made.  At this point I want to focus on identifying those decisions
and other tasks rather than solving them immediately.

Some of the previous work done around using Golang in OpenStack has
been collected in an Etherpad[2] and summarized into major categories.
I am confident that I have not found everything that has been done and
would appreciate pointers to whatever resources you may have.  Here
are some highlights of areas that still require discussion and
decisions:

Common Libraries

flaper87's reference doc touches on project requirements for new
languages and Oslo-compatible implementations.  At the time of this
writing this is not yet finalized, with some discussion around how
much to require, and if the first project to utilize a new language
should shoulder all of the burden of also implementing those
libraries.

Dependency Management

There are a number of tools available for Golang to manage
dependencies.  A number have been evaluated already with a couple of
strong contenders identified.  Once a tool is selected, process needs
to be set up to track dependencies and versions tested.

Release Deliverables

OpenStack still officially considers the tarballs generated during the
release rpocess to be our official deliverable.  Many downstream
consumers, however, bypass those and go directly to the tagged
releases in the Git repos.  The Golang community has no real culture
of using tarballs at all, given the 'go get' functionality bult in to
the tooling directly for checking out remote repos.  One obvious
shortcoming in just defining the release to be Git repo tags is our
use of generated files.

If you have an interest in seeing Golang support implemented for
OpenStack, please jump in here and help us nail down how to accomplish
that "right".

dt

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/398875/
[1] https://review.openstack.org/410355