[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-wg/news

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Dec 1 17:00:31 UTC 2016

Greetings OpenStack community,

Some good attendance and discussion this week. For many months the API-WG has been claiming that it would try to review any commit that contained an 'APIImpact' tag. This has proven impractical so instead of maintaining a task on our list that we know we're not going to do, we've decided to make it official that we aren't doing that anymore (see below about "Highlighting your API impacting issues"). Though APIImpact is still meaningful within the projects that use it, it should no longer be considered a bat signal for the API-WG.

We also discussed the continued ambiguity of when to use a 404 or a 400 response code when making an incorrect reference to a resource in the body of a request. A cinder review[4] started the conversation and the conversation (resolving to use 400) led to a proposed adjustment to the guidelines[5].

# New guidelines

No newly merged guidelines this week.

# API guidelines that have been recently merged

Nothing in the recent past.

# API guidelines proposed for freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.

* Add the operator for "not in" to the filter guideline
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/399131/

# Guidelines currently under review [3]

Both of these are going to require quite a bit of input from a wide audience. Both have been tried a few times in the past.

* Define pagination guidelines
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/390973/
   This one is a bit stuck, any volunteers to pick it up?

* Add API capabilities discovery guideline
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386555/

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API WG, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are faciing.

To learn more about the API WG mission and the work we do, see OpenStack API Working Group [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!