[openstack-dev] [all][massively distributed][architecture]Coordination between actions/WGs

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Wed Aug 31 15:54:53 UTC 2016

Duncan Thomas wrote:
> On 31 August 2016 at 11:57, Bogdan Dobrelya <bdobrelia at mirantis.com
> <mailto:bdobrelia at mirantis.com>> wrote:
>
>     I agree that RPC design pattern, as it is implemented now, is a major
>     blocker for OpenStack in general. It requires a major redesign,
>     including handling of corner cases, on both sides, *especially* RPC call
>     clients. Or may be it just have to be abandoned to be replaced by a more
>     cloud friendly pattern.
>

> Is there a writeup anywhere on what these issues are? I've heard this
> sentiment expressed multiple times now, but without a writeup of the
> issues and the design goals of the replacement, we're unlikely to make
> progress on a replacement - even if somebody takes the heroic approach
> and writes a full replacement themselves, the odds of getting community
> by-in are very low.

+2 to that, there are a bunch of technologies that could replace the
rabbit+rpc, aka, gRPC, then there is http2 and thrift and ... so a
writeup IMHO would help at least clear the waters a little bit, and
explain the blocker of the current RPC design pattern (which is
multidimensional because most people are probably thinking RPC == rabbit
when it's actually more than that now, ie zeromq and amqp1.0 and ...)
and try to centralize on a better replacement.

-Josh