[openstack-dev] [nova] test strategy for the serial console feature

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Aug 11 11:19:42 UTC 2016

On 08/11/2016 05:45 AM, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> On 26.07.2016 12:16, Jordan Pittier wrote:
>> Hi Markus
>> You don"t really need a whole new job for this. Just turn that flag to True
>> on existing jobs.
>>
>> 30/40 seconds is acceptable. But I am surprised considering a VM usually
>> boots in 5 sec or so. Any idea of where that slowdown comes from ?
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Markus Zoeller <
>> mzoeller at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

We just had a big chat about this in the #openstack-nova IRC channel. To
summarize:

The class of bugs that are really problematic are:

 * https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1455252 - Launchpad bug 1455252
in OpenStack Compute (nova) "enabling serial console breaks live
migration" [High,In progress] - Assigned to sahid (sahid-ferdjaoui)

* https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1595962 - Launchpad bug 1595962
in OpenStack Compute (nova) "live migration with disabled vnc/spice not
possible" [Undecided,In progress] - Assigned to Markus Zoeller
(markus_z) (mzoeller)

Which are both in the category of serial console breaking live
migration. It's the serial device vs. live migration that's most
problematic. Serial consoles themselves haven't broken badly recently.
Given that we don't do live migration testing in most normal jobs, the
Tempest jobs aren't really going to help here.

The dedicated live-migration job is being targeted.

Serial console support is currently a function at the compute level.
Which is actually a little odd. Because it means that all guests on a
compute must be serial console, or must not. Imagine a compute running
Linux, Windows, FreeBSD guests. It's highly unlikely that you want to
force serial console one way or another on all of those the same way.
This is probably something that makes sense to add as an image
attribute, because images will need guest configuration to support
serial consoles. As an image attribute this would also help on testing
because we could mix / match in a single run.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net