[openstack-dev] [infra][tripleo] status of tripleo-test-cloud-rh1

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 16:17:13 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 11:47 AM, James Slagle <james.slagle at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> well. What I'd like clarification around is there is
> hesitation/concern around TripleO building out additional mutlinode
> jobs that run on any cloud.
>
> I'd like to continue down this path of adding more CI jobs that can
> run on any nodepool managed cloud provider. To do so, we'd need to
> have 3+ node jobs. A 3 node job would let us test with an undercloud
> and a 2 node overcloud, while a 4 node job would let us test with an
> undercloud and a 3 node overcloud so we could test HA. 4 node HA jobs
> seem to work fine in my testing that I've done on
> tripleo-test-cloud-rh2, using the same network setup and infra images
> that we do for the 2 node job.
>
> tripleo-ci can't move entirely to using these types of multinode jobs
> though, because they do not exercise the nova/ironic deployment during
> the tests. So, there will always be some subset of tripleo-ci jobs
> that still need tripleo-test-cloud-rh2{1,2} as those clouds are
> configured with the necessary OpenStack features enabled to allow for
> pxe booting of instances.
>
> I'm certainly open and supportive of the idea of running all job types
> on the tripleo clouds. The work Paul has done should make this
> possible. rh2 is on "loan" to the TripleO project team while rh1 moved
> datacenters. But, I'm told it can become permanent if there is a need.
> Keep in mind this is not a single cloud with 2 regions. rh1 and rh2
> are 2 separate single region clouds, however they offer the equivalent
> functionality to run all tripleo-ci and infra job types (barring just
> a few outstanding bugs/configuration issues). So, there is failover
> for tripleo-ci jobs (if we re-enable rh2).
>
> At the same time, if there are concerns about capacity from Infra's
> perspective as we'd like to build out to at least 4-node multinode
> jobs, then I think it makes good sense to open up rh1/rh2 to all job
> types, so that they help with the capacity.
> In that case, it would not make sense to move tripleo-ci to be a 3rd
> party CI setup.
>
> If there is plenty of capacity on the existing cloud providers and no
> concerns about building out additional multinode jobs, then there
> might not be a huge benefit in enabling all job types on rh1/rh2. If
> that's the case then we might as well just move them to 3rd party CI.
>
> I suppose it's also possible that we might be pushing too strongly
> down the multinode path? Is the general concensus in infra that they'd
> like to help enable project teams to eventually add 3 and 4 (and maybe
> more) node multinode jobs? If not, then I agree it probably does make
> sense to move most of tripleo-ci to be 3rd party, and we'd just keep
> our existing check jobs as-is instead of proposing new ones.
>
> My point is: if there's concensus around TripleO building out to 3+
> node multinode jobs, then I think tripleo-ci should stay where it is
> so that we can also work towards contributing to available capacity,

I think there are some values to test 3+ node multinode jobs:

- Testing High-Availability: we currently have pacemaker scenarios,
that require at least 3 controllers and 1 compute to test something
realistic. Though we have nothing in our tests that disable a
controller and run tests again. So unless we have it, I think we could
run our tests on a single controller node.

- Testing Nova live migration (even if it's tested by devstack) in
TripleO, to validate configuration that makes it possible.

- Testing 3+ means at least 2 nodes for overcloud, which is the first
realistic way to test a multi-node overcloud, and validate TripleO
Orchestration, for both initial deployment and upgrades. We are an
installer, we rely on orchestration and configuration management, so I
think we really need this minimal architecture.

Regarding the contribution to OpenStack Infra to give some capacity,
it would be certainly fair from us to do it, big +1.

> If there is not, and tripleo-ci just keeps adding more jobs that will
> only run on our own clouds, then I agree with Paul and Ben that
> tripleo-ci feels more naturally to be 3rd party CI.
>
> --
> -- James Slagle
> --

Emilien Macchi