[openstack-dev] [TripleO] a new Undercloud install driven by Heat

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 10:27:40 UTC 2016

On 08/04/2016 11:48 PM, Dan Prince wrote:
> Last week I started some prototype work on what could be a new way to
> install the Undercloud. The driving force behind this was some of the
> recent "composable services" work we've done in TripleO so initially I
> called in composable undercloud. There is an etherpad here with links
> to some of the patches already posted upstream (many of which stand as
> general imporovements on their own outside the scope of what I'm
> talking about here).
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-composable-undercloud
>
> The idea in short is that we could spin up a small single process all-
> in-one heat-all (engine and API) and thereby avoid things like Rabbit,
> and MySQL. Then we can use Heat templates to drive the Undercloud
> deployment just like we do in the Overcloud.

I don't want to sound rude, but please no. The fact that you have a
hammer does not mean everything around is nails :( What problem are you
trying to solve by doing it?

Undercloud installation is already sometimes fragile, but it's probably
the least fragile part right now (at least from my experience) And at
the very least it's pretty obviously debuggable in most cases. THT is
hard to understand and often impossible to debug. I'd prefer we move
away from THT completely rather than trying to fix it in one more place
where heat does not fit..