[openstack-dev] [TripleO] a new Undercloud install driven by Heat

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 21:48:37 UTC 2016

Last week I started some prototype work on what could be a new way to
install the Undercloud. The driving force behind this was some of the
recent "composable services" work we've done in TripleO so initially I
called in composable undercloud. There is an etherpad here with links
to some of the patches already posted upstream (many of which stand as
general imporovements on their own outside the scope of what I'm
talking about here).

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-composable-undercloud

The idea in short is that we could spin up a small single process all-
in-one heat-all (engine and API) and thereby avoid things like Rabbit,
and MySQL. Then we can use Heat templates to drive the Undercloud
deployment just like we do in the Overcloud.

I created a short video demonstration which goes over some of the
history behind the approach, and shows a live demo of all of this
working with the patches above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1qMDLAf26Q

Thoughts? Would it be cool to have a session to discuss this more in
Barcelona?

Dan Prince (dprince)