[openstack-dev] [Glance][TC][Heat][App-Catalog][Murano][Tacker] Glare as a new Project

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Fri Aug 5 06:30:30 UTC 2016

> On 05 Aug 2016, at 01:02, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 08/04/2016 06:40 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> Excerpts from Jay Pipes's message of 2016-08-04 18:14:46 -0400:

>>> Honestly, operators need to move past the "oh, not another service to
>>> install/configure" thing.
>>>
>>> With the whole "microservice the world" movement, that ship has long
>>> since sailed, and frankly, the cost of adding another microservice into
>>> the deployment at this point is tiny -- it should be nothing more than a
>>> few lines in a Puppet manifest, Chef module, Ansible playbook, or Salt
>>> state file.
>>>
>>> If you're doing deployment right, adding new services to the
>>> microservice architecture that OpenStack projects are being pushed
>>> towards should not be an issue.
>>>
>>> I find it odd that certain folks are pushing hard for the
>>> shared-nothing, microservice-it-all software architecture and yet
>>> support this mentality that adding another couple (dozen if need be)
>>> lines of configuration data to a deployment script is beyond the pale to
>>> ask of operators.
>>>

>> Agreed, deployment isn't that big of a deal. I actually thought Kevin's
>> point was that the lack of focus was the problem. I think the point in
>> bringing up deployment is simply that it isn't free, not that it's the
>> reason to combine the two.
>
> My above statement was more directed to Kevin and Tim, both of whom indicated that adding another service to the deployment was a major problem.

The difficulty I have with additional projects is that there are often major parts missing in order to deploy in production. Packaging, Configuration management manifests, Monitoring etc. are not part
of the standard deliverables but are left to other teams. Having had to fill in these gaps for 4 OpenStack projects so far already, they are not trivial to do and I feel the effort required
for this was not considered as part of the split decision.