[openstack-dev] [Glance][TC][Heat][App-Catalog][Murano][Tacker] Glare as a new Project

Erno Kuvaja ekuvaja at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 17:34:23 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Tim Bell's message of 2016-08-04 15:55:48 +0000:
>>
>> On 04 Aug 2016, at 17:27, Mikhail Fedosin <mfedosin at mirantis.com<mailto:mfedosin at mirantis.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> > our work in a separate project in the "openstack" namespace with its own
>> > core team (me, Kairat Kushaev, Darja Shkhray and the original creator -
>> > Alexander Tivelkov). We want to thank Glance community for their support
>> > during the incubation period, valuable advice and suggestions - this time
>> > was really productive for us. I believe that this step will allow the
>> > Glare project to concentrate on feature development and move forward
>> > faster. Having the independent service also removes inconsistencies
>> > in understanding what Glance project is: it seems that a single project
>> > cannot own two different APIs with partially overlapping functionality. So
>> > with the separation of Glare into a new project, Glance may continue its
>> > work on the OpenStack Images API, while Glare will become the reference
>> > implementation of the new OpenStack Artifacts API.
>> >

>> I would suggest looking at more than just the development process when
>> reflecting on this choice.
>> While it may allow more rapid development, doing on your own will increase
>> costs for end users and operators in areas like packaging, configuration,
>> monitoring, quota … gaining critical mass in production for Glare will
>> be much more difficult if you are not building on the Glance install base.
>
> I have to agree with Tim here. I respect that it's difficult to build on
> top of Glance's API, rather than just start fresh. But, for operators,
> it's more services, more API's to audit, and more complexity. For users,
> they'll now have two ways to upload software to their clouds, which is
> likely to result in a large portion just ignoring Glare even when it
> would be useful for them.
>
> What I'd hoped when Glare and Glance combined, was that there would be
> a single API that could be used for any software upload and listing. Is
> there any kind of retrospective or documentation somewhere that explains
> why that wasn't possible?

I was planning to leave this branch on it's own, but I have to correct
something here. This split is not introducing new API, it's moving the
new Artifact API under it's own project, there was no shared API in
first place. Glare was to be it's own service already within Glance
project. Also the Artifacts API turned out to be fundamentally
incompatible with the Images APIs v1 & v2 due to the totally different
requirements. And even the option was discussed in the community I
personally think replicating Images API and carrying the cost it being
in two services that are fundamentally different would have been huge
mistake we would have paid for long time. I'm not saying that it would
have been impossible, but there is lots of burden in Images APIs that
Glare really does not need to carry, we just can't get rid of it and
likely no-one would have been happy to see Images API v3 around the
time when we are working super hard to get the v1 users moving to v2.

Packaging glance-api, glance-registry and glare-api from glance repo
would not change the effort too much compared from 2 repos either.
Likely it just makes it easier when the logical split it clear from
the beginning.

What comes to Tim's statement, I do not see how Glare in it's own
service with it's own API could ride on the Glance install base apart
from the quite false mental image these two thing being the same and
based on the same code.

- Erno