[openstack-dev] [Glance][TC][Heat][App-Catalog][Murano][Tacker] Glare as a new Project

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Aug 4 16:20:21 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Tim Bell's message of 2016-08-04 15:55:48 +0000:

> On 04 Aug 2016, at 17:27, Mikhail Fedosin <mfedosin at mirantis.com<mailto:mfedosin at mirantis.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > our work in a separate project in the "openstack" namespace with its own
> > core team (me, Kairat Kushaev, Darja Shkhray and the original creator -
> > Alexander Tivelkov). We want to thank Glance community for their support
> > during the incubation period, valuable advice and suggestions - this time
> > was really productive for us. I believe that this step will allow the
> > Glare project to concentrate on feature development and move forward
> > faster. Having the independent service also removes inconsistencies
> > in understanding what Glance project is: it seems that a single project
> > cannot own two different APIs with partially overlapping functionality. So
> > with the separation of Glare into a new project, Glance may continue its
> > work on the OpenStack Images API, while Glare will become the reference
> > implementation of the new OpenStack Artifacts API.
> >

> I would suggest looking at more than just the development process when
> reflecting on this choice.
> While it may allow more rapid development, doing on your own will increase
> costs for end users and operators in areas like packaging, configuration,
> monitoring, quota … gaining critical mass in production for Glare will
> be much more difficult if you are not building on the Glance install base.

I have to agree with Tim here. I respect that it's difficult to build on
top of Glance's API, rather than just start fresh. But, for operators,
it's more services, more API's to audit, and more complexity. For users,
they'll now have two ways to upload software to their clouds, which is
likely to result in a large portion just ignoring Glare even when it
would be useful for them.

What I'd hoped when Glare and Glance combined, was that there would be
a single API that could be used for any software upload and listing. Is
there any kind of retrospective or documentation somewhere that explains
why that wasn't possible?