[openstack-dev] [tc] persistently single-vendor projects

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 08:56:01 UTC 2016

On 1 August 2016 at 18:14, Adrian Otto <adrian.otto at rackspace.com> wrote:

> I am struggling to understand why we would want to remove projects from
> our big tent at all, as long as they are being actively developed under the
> principles of "four opens". It seems to me that working to disqualify such
> projects sends an alarming signal to our ecosystem. The reason we made the
> big tent to begin with was to set a tone of inclusion. This whole
> discussion seems like a step backward. What problem are we trying to solve,
> exactly?

Any project existing in the big tent sets a significant barrier (policy,
technical, mindshare) of entry to any competing project that might spring
up. The cost of entry as an individual into a single-vendor project is much
higher in general than a diverse one (back-channel communications,
differences in vision, monoculture, commercial pressures, etc), and so
having a non-diverse project in the big tent reduces the possibilities of a
better replacement appearing.