[openstack-dev] [sahara][heat][infra] breakage of Sahara gate and images from openstack.org

Luigi Toscano ltoscano at redhat.com
Mon Aug 1 15:11:48 UTC 2016

On Monday, 1 August 2016 10:56:21 CEST Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 29/07/16 13:12, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > the Sahara jobs on the gate run the scenario tests (from sahara-tests)
> > using the fake plugin, so no real Hadoop/Spark/BigData operations are
> > performed, but other the other expected operations are executed on the
> > image. In order to do this we used for long time this image:
> > http://tarballs.openstack.org/heat-test-image/fedora-heat-test-image.qcow2
> >
> > which was updated early on this Friday (July 29th) from Fedora 22 to
> > Fedora 24 breaking our jobs with some cryptic error, maybe something
> > related to the repositories:
> > http://logs.openstack.org/46/335946/12/check/gate-sahara-tests-dsvm-scenar
> > io-nova-heat/5eeff52/logs/screen-sahara-eng.txt.gz?level=WARNING
> So AFAICT from the log:
>
> "rpm -q xfsprogs" prints "package xfsprogs is not installed" which is
> expected if xfsprogs is not installed.
>
> "yum install -y xfsprogs" redirects to "/usr/bin/dnf install -y
> xfsprogs" which is expected on F24.
>
> dnf fails with "Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'fedora'"
> which means it couldn't download the Fedora repository data.
>
> "sudo mount -o data=writeback,noatime,nodiratime /dev/vdb
> /volumes/disk1" then fails, doubtlessly because xfsprogs in not installed.
>
> The absence of "sudo" in the yum command (when it does appear in the
> mount command) is suspicious, but unlikely to be the reason it can't
> sync the cache.

This is why I mentioned the repositories, yes.

> It's not obvious why this change of image would suddenly result in not
> being able to install packages. It seems more likely that you've never
> been able to install packages, but the previous image had xfsprogs
> preinstalled and the new one doesn't. I don't know the specifics of how
> that image is built, but certainly Fedora has been making an ongoing
> effort to strip the cloud image back to basics.

But this is not a normal Fedora image. If I read project-config correctly,
this is generated by this job:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/tree/jenkins/
jobs/heat.yaml#n34

>From a brief chat on #heat on Friday it seems that the image is not gated or
checked or even used right now. Is it the case? The image is almost a simple
Fedora with few extra packages:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/heat-templates/tree/hot/software-config/test-image/build-heat-test-image.sh

--
Luigi