[openstack-dev] [sahara][heat][infra] breakage of Sahara gate and images from openstack.org

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Aug 1 14:56:21 UTC 2016

On 29/07/16 13:12, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Hi all,
> the Sahara jobs on the gate run the scenario tests (from sahara-tests) using
> the fake plugin, so no real Hadoop/Spark/BigData operations are performed, but
> other the other expected operations are executed on the image. In order to do
> this we used for long time this image:
> http://tarballs.openstack.org/heat-test-image/fedora-heat-test-image.qcow2
>
> which was updated early on this Friday (July 29th) from Fedora 22 to Fedora 24
> breaking our jobs with some cryptic error, maybe something related to the
> repositories:
> http://logs.openstack.org/46/335946/12/check/gate-sahara-tests-dsvm-scenario-nova-heat/5eeff52/logs/screen-sahara-eng.txt.gz?level=WARNING

So AFAICT from the log:

"rpm -q xfsprogs" prints "package xfsprogs is not installed" which is
expected if xfsprogs is not installed.

"yum install -y xfsprogs" redirects to "/usr/bin/dnf install -y
xfsprogs" which is expected on F24.

dnf fails with "Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'fedora'"
which means it couldn't download the Fedora repository data.

"sudo mount -o data=writeback,noatime,nodiratime /dev/vdb
/volumes/disk1" then fails, doubtlessly because xfsprogs in not installed.

The absence of "sudo" in the yum command (when it does appear in the
mount command) is suspicious, but unlikely to be the reason it can't
sync the cache.

It's not obvious why this change of image would suddenly result in not
being able to install packages. It seems more likely that you've never
been able to install packages, but the previous image had xfsprogs
preinstalled and the new one doesn't. I don't know the specifics of how
that image is built, but certainly Fedora has been making an ongoing
effort to strip the cloud image back to basics.

cheers,
Zane.