[openstack-dev] [Fuel][MySQL][DLM][Oslo][DB][Trove][Galera][operators] Multi-master writes look OK, OCF RA and more things

Roman Podoliaka rpodolyaka at mirantis.com
Fri Apr 29 19:04:49 UTC 2016

Hi Bogdan,

Thank you for sharing this! I'll need to familiarize myself with this
Jepsen thing, but overall it looks interesting.

As it turns out, we already run Galera in multi-writer mode in Fuel
unintentionally in the case, when the active MySQL node goes down,
HAProxy starts opening connections to a backup, then the active goes
up again, HAProxy starts opening connections to the original MySQL
node, but OpenStack services may still have connections opened to the
backup in their connection pools - so now you may have connections to
multiple MySQL nodes at the same time, exactly what you wanted to
avoid by using active/backup in the HAProxy configuration.

^ this actually leads to an interesting issue [1], when the DB state
committed on one node is not immediately available on another one.
Replication lag can be controlled  via session variables [2], but that
does not always help: e.g. in [1] Nova first goes to Neutron to create
a new floating IP, gets 201 (and Neutron actually *commits* the DB
transaction) and then makes another REST API request to get a list of
floating IPs by address - the latter can be served by another
neutron-server, connected to another Galera node, which does not have
the latest state applied yet due to 'slave lag' - it can happen that
the list will be empty. Unfortunately, 'wsrep_sync_wait' can't help
here, as it's two different REST API requests, potentially served by
two different neutron-server instances.

Basically, you'd need to *always* wait for the latest state to be
applied before executing any queries, which Galera is trying to avoid
for performance reasons.

Thanks,
Roman

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1529937