[openstack-dev] [oslo.config] Encrypt the sensitive options

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Tue Apr 26 15:58:55 UTC 2016

> IMHO encrypting oslo config files is addressing the wrong problem.
> Rather than having sensitive passwords stored in the main config
> files, we should have them stored completely separately by a secure
> password manager of some kind. The config file would then merely
> contain the name or uuid of an entry in the password manager. The
> service (eg nova-compute) would then query that password manager
> to get the actual sensitive password data it requires. At this point
> oslo.config does not need to know/care about encryption of its data
> as there's no longer sensitive data stored.

at the end of the day, if someone is on the machine where they can read
those config files, they are on that machine where they can run any
Python code they want which itself can be exactly the code in the
openstack app that contacts this password service and gets the same
information.   Or put another way, nova-compute still needs a password
or key of some kind to connect to this password service anyway.

If what we're going for as far as passwords in config files is that they
don't get committed to source repositories or copied out to public
places, then fine, store them "somewhere else" just to note that these
are special values.  But as far as someone on the machine (assuming
per-user permissions to read the same files that the app can see have
been acquired), there's always a key/password/token needed to get to
"the password service", so they have access.   The best you can do is
run some closed-source executable that has private keys buried within
it, to at least make this attack more difficult, or if you are really
looking for something inconvenient, an administrator has to manually
type in a passphrase when starting up the services.  But we're using
open source, source-code-present Python and I don't think we're doing
passphrase-on-startup.   So being on the box means, you have the passwords.