[openstack-dev] [kolla][kubernetes] Mirantis participation in kolla-mesos project and shift towards Kubernetes

Tomasz Pa ss7pro at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 03:05:07 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 2:27 AM, Steven Dake (stdake) <stdake at cisco.com> wrote:

> Trying to understand the issue here, do you believe the current jinja2
> Dockerfiles are not readable?  I'm pretty sure my 11 and 13 year old
> children which are just learning programming already understand conditionals
> and variables.  A full-blown DSL for describing container contents seems out
> of the domain of Kolla's mission, although I'd never say no if someone
> wanted to give a crack at implementing one.

Kolla images are simply to big and not properly layered. What it means
that if you today want to upgrade one of the packages: ie: python-nova
(assuming images are build from RPMs) you're upgrading whole layer
which contains all it's dependencies added by yum. So at the end
simple 12MB upgrades turns to be 120MB (right now this is the size of
the kolla image layer which contains python-nova).

Having some proper DSL for describing container content would mean
that we can have each package deployed within it's own image layer.
This would definitely speed up upgrades and would ensure better layer
sharing between multiple images.

Cheers