[openstack-dev] [devstack] openstack client slowness / client-as-a-service

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Apr 20 01:17:35 UTC 2016

On 04/19/2016 07:24 PM, Jamie Lennox wrote:

> Rather than ditching python for something like go, I'd rather put
> together a CLI with no plugins and that only depended on keystoneauth
> and os-client-config as libraries. No?
Let me add that if you are doing anything non trivial withe the CLI, you
might want to think about just coding the whole thing in Python...which
is, as you recall, we suggested Devstack go back about 5 years ago.
There was a firm "stay in bash" push at the time, and so, yeah, we have
a one-CLI call at a time install process.

Maybe it is time to revamp Devstack.  Is there some way that, without a
major rewrite, it could take better advantage of the CLI? Could we group
commands, or migrate sections to python scripts that really all need to
be done together?  For example, most of the early prep of the Keystone
server moved to keystone-manage bootstrap.  Is there more bootstrap-type
behavior we can and should consolidate?