[openstack-dev] [devstack] openstack client slowness / client-as-a-service

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 03:03:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 8:17 PM, Adam Young <ayoung at redhat.com> wrote:

> Maybe it is time to revamp Devstack.  Is there some way that, without a
> major rewrite, it could take better advantage of the CLI? Could we group
> commands, or migrate sections to python scripts that really all need to be
> done together?  For example, most of the early prep of the Keystone server
> moved to keystone-manage bootstrap.  Is there more bootstrap-type behavior
> we can and should consolidate?

This is what I was talking about, trying to take advantage of the
interactive mode that also reads from stdin to do a series of comamnds with
a single load/auth cycle.  It lacks a LOT of things for a resilient use
case such as DevStack (error abort or error ignore?, branching, everything
a DSL would bring).

And if you'd like to replace stach.sh with stack.py, I'll not stop you,
just don't call it DevStack.  Now you are building yet another deployment
tool.  We've also been down that road before. It may well be time to retire
DevStack, be sure to let us know when those willing to sponsor that work
show up so they can attempt to learn from some of our mistakes and not
repeat them the hard way.

dt

--

Dean Troyer