[openstack-dev] [release][requirements][packaging][summit] input needed on summit discussion about global requirements

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Apr 18 12:22:26 UTC 2016

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016, Sean Dague wrote:

> So if you have strong feelings and ideas, why not get them out in email
> now? That will help in the framing of the conversation.

I won't be at summit and I feel pretty strongly about this topic, so
I'll throw out my comments:

I agree with the basic premise: In the big tent universe co-
installability is holding us back and is a huge cost in terms of spent
energy. In a world where service isolation is desirable and common
(whether by virtualenv, containers, different hosts, etc) targeting an
all-in-one install seems only to serve the purposes of all-in-one rpm-
or deb-based installations.

Many (most?) people won't be doing those kinds of installations. If all-in-
one installations are important to the rpm- and deb- based distributions
then _they_ should be resolving the dependency issues local to their own
infrastructure (or realizing that it is too painful and start
containerizing or otherwise as well).

I think making these changes will help to improve and strengthen the
boundaries and contracts between services. If not technically then
at least socially, in the sense that the negotiations that people
make to get things to work are about what actually matters in their
services, not unwinding python dependencies and the like.

A lot of the basics of getting this to work are already in place
in devstack. One challenge I've run into the past is when devstack
plugin A has made an assumption about having access to a python
script provided by devstack plugin B, but it's not on $PATH or its
dependencies are not in the site-packages visible to the current
context. The solution here is to use full paths _into_ virtenvs.

--
Chris Dent               (¨s¡ã¡õ¡ã)¨s¦à©ß©¥©ß            http://anticdent.org/