[openstack-dev] [oslo][keystone][documentation][gate] Babel dependency for oslo.log

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Apr 18 04:14:18 UTC 2016

On 04/17/2016 09:15 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Hi Oslo folks, Andreas and others,
>
> Over the weekend oslo.log 3.4.0 was released. This broke keystone CI
> jobs [2], even though the 3.4.0 was not specified in upper-constraints
> as keystone jobs were not honoring the upper-constraints.txt, so we
> fixed it in [3].
>
> So the first big problem after [3] was that several tox targets do not
> inject u-c and hence fail, so in [3] we also added install_commands
> for testenv:releasenotes and testenv:cover, based on the pattern set
> in Nova's tox.ini [4]. That was still not enough and we had to add an
> entry in keystone's requirements.txt for Babel even though it was not
> there before (and hence pulling in latest Babel from somewhere).
>
> So Here are the questions:
> 1) Is there anyone working to fix all tox CI jobs to honor upper constraints?
> 2) Why do we need Babel in oslo.log's requirements.txt?
> 3) Can we remove Babel from all requirements.txt and
> test-requirements.txt and leave them in just tox.ini when needed?
>
> Note that there was nothing wrong either in oslo.log itself it
> published a release with what was in global-requirements.txt, nor in
> keystone, which has traditionally not run with constraints on. Just
> the combination of situations with Babel going bad broke at least
> keystone.
>
> Did anyone else see other jobs break? Please respond!
>
> Thanks,
> Dims
>

> [1] http://markmail.org/message/ygyxpjpbhlbz3q5d
> [2] http://logs.openstack.org/86/249486/32/check/gate-keystone-python34-db/29ace4f/console.html#_2016-04-17_04_31_51_138
> [4] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/tox.ini

I think what happened is:
1) oslo.log indirectly requires Babel
2) requirements blacklists Babel 2.3.x
3) keystone has new requirements included and thus fails

The problem here is that oslo.log requires olso.i18n which requires
Babel. And if oslo.i18n would have had a release with the blacklisting
of Babel 2.3.x, this wouldn't have happened. So, I propose to release
oslo.i18n.

Babel 2.3.4 which fixes the known problems might be out soon as well -
and if that does not introduce regressions, this will self-heal,

Andreas
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)