[openstack-dev] [oslo][keystone][documentation][gate] Babel dependency for oslo.log

Davanum Srinivas davanum at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 19:15:49 UTC 2016

Hi Oslo folks, Andreas and others,

Over the weekend oslo.log 3.4.0 was released. This broke keystone CI
jobs [2], even though the 3.4.0 was not specified in upper-constraints
as keystone jobs were not honoring the upper-constraints.txt, so we
fixed it in [3].

So the first big problem after [3] was that several tox targets do not
inject u-c and hence fail, so in [3] we also added install_commands
for testenv:releasenotes and testenv:cover, based on the pattern set
in Nova's tox.ini [4]. That was still not enough and we had to add an
entry in keystone's requirements.txt for Babel even though it was not
there before (and hence pulling in latest Babel from somewhere).

So Here are the questions:
1) Is there anyone working to fix all tox CI jobs to honor upper constraints?
2) Why do we need Babel in oslo.log's requirements.txt?
3) Can we remove Babel from all requirements.txt and
test-requirements.txt and leave them in just tox.ini when needed?

Note that there was nothing wrong either in oslo.log itself it
published a release with what was in global-requirements.txt, nor in
keystone, which has traditionally not run with constraints on. Just
the combination of situations with Babel going bad broke at least
keystone.

Did anyone else see other jobs break? Please respond!

Thanks,
Dims

[1] http://markmail.org/message/ygyxpjpbhlbz3q5d
[2] http://logs.openstack.org/86/249486/32/check/gate-keystone-python34-db/29ace4f/console.html#_2016-04-17_04_31_51_138