[openstack-dev] [lbaas][octavia] Queries on octavia features

Stephen Balukoff stephen at balukoff.com
Fri Apr 15 18:24:59 UTC 2016

Hi Akshay!

0.8. It's got most of the features of 1.0, but since the development path
didn't exactly follow the road map (since nobody is prescient 18 months in
advance) most of us felt more comfortable calling this release 0.8. You
will probably see 1.0 or something between 1.0 and 2.0 in Newton. In any
case, yes 0.8 includes active-standby support with failover that seems to
work in production. :)

Yes, we have SSL offloading and L7 based load balancing in the current (0.8
/ Mitaka) release. Documentation on using these effectively is still being
updated, but the features are there and work.

We have endeavored to make nearly every component within Octavia
driver-driven. So if you want to replace the driver designed to work with
haproxy-based amphorae with something of your own creation this should be
possible without an unreasonable amount of work. About the only major
design feature that would be difficult to work around at this point is the
*concept* of an amphora in the controller daemons: Octavia is a specialized
system for managing load balancing services across a fleet of
mostly-independent VMs / Containers / Appliances (ie. amphora) which
deliver the actual service. If you have a vendor-supplied product that can
work with this model, you should be able to develop a driver for Octavia.

Does that make sense?