[openstack-dev] [keystone]Liberty->Mitaka upgrade: is it possible without downtime?

Grasza, Grzegorz grzegorz.grasza at intel.com
Thu Apr 14 13:45:14 UTC 2016

> From: Gyorgy Szombathelyi
>
> Unknown column 'user.name' in 'field list'
>
> in some operation when the DB is already upgraded to Mitaka, but some
> keystone instances in a HA setup are still Liberty.

Currently we don't support rolling upgrades in keystone. To do an upgrade, you need to upgrade all keystone service instances at once, instead of going one-by-one, which means you have to plan for downtime of the keystone API.

> Is this change is intentional? Should I ignore the problem and just upgrade all
> instances as fast as possible? Or I just overlooked something?

You are right that there will be an error if you try running Liberty+Mitaka, since the database schema is not compatible. We have an ongoing effort to support online schema migrations, but it didn't make into Mitaka. [1] [2]

We will have a presentation about Online DB Migrations at the summit (in the upstream development track), so if you are interested, you can attend or watch the recorded session afterwards [3]. There will also be a discussion about this in keystone meetings at the design summit. [4]

[1] https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/mitaka/online-schema-migration.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/274079/
[3] https://www.openstack.org/summit/austin-2016/summit-schedule/events/7639
[4] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/keystone-newton-summit-brainstorm