[openstack-dev] [all] [devstack] Adding example "local.conf" files for testing?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Apr 14 11:09:43 UTC 2016

On 04/14/2016 05:19 AM, Markus Zoeller wrote:
>> From: Neil Jerram <Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com>
>> <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
>> Date: 04/14/2016 10:50 AM
>> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [all] [devstack] Adding example
>> "local.conf" files for testing?
>>
>> On 14/04/16 08:35, Markus Zoeller wrote:
>>> Sometimes (especially when I try to reproduce bugs) I have the need
>>> to set up a local environment with devstack. Everytime I have to look
>>> at my notes to check which option in the "local.conf" have to be set
>>> for my needs. I'd like to add a folder in devstacks tree which hosts
>>> multiple example local.conf files for different, often used setups.
>>> Something like this:
>>>
>>>      example-confs
>>>      --- newton
>>>      --- --- x86-ubuntu-1404
>>>      --- --- --- minimum-setup
>>>      --- --- --- --- README.rst
>>>      --- --- --- --- local.conf
>>>      --- --- --- serial-console-setup
>>>      --- --- --- --- README.rst
>>>      --- --- --- --- local.conf
>>>      --- --- --- live-migration-setup
>>>      --- --- --- --- README.rst
>>>      --- --- --- --- local.conf.controller
>>>      --- --- --- --- local.conf.compute1
>>>      --- --- --- --- local.conf.compute2
>>>      --- --- --- minimal-neutron-setup
>>>      --- --- --- --- README.rst
>>>      --- --- --- --- local.conf
>>>      --- --- s390x-1.1.1-vulcan
>>>      --- --- --- minimum-setup
>>>      --- --- --- --- README.rst
>>>      --- --- --- --- local.conf
>>>      --- --- --- live-migration-setup
>>>      --- --- --- --- README.rst
>>>      --- --- --- --- local.conf.controller
>>>      --- --- --- --- local.conf.compute1
>>>      --- --- --- --- local.conf.compute2
>>>      --- mitaka
>>>      --- --- # same structure as master branch. omitted for brevity
>>>      --- liberty
>>>      --- --- # same structure as master branch. omitted for brevity
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Yes, this looks useful to me.  Only thing is that you shouldn't need the
>
>> per-release subtrees, though; the DevStack repository already has
>> per-release stable/<release> branches, which you need to check out in
>> order to do a DevStack setup of a past release.  So I would expect the
>> local.confs for each past release to live in the corresponding branch.
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Neil
>
> My intention was to avoid that there is a folder "current" or "trunk"
> or similar, which doesn't get updated. That's the issue Steve talked
> about.
>
> The workflow could be, at every new cycle:
>     * create a new "release folder" (Newton, Ocata, ...)
>     * copy the "setup folders" (minimum-setup, ...) to the new folder
>     * clean up the "local.conf" file(s) of deprecated options
>     * delete a "release folder" if the release is EOL
>
> I also assume that this would make potential backports easier.

I think this would be useful, and accepted easily.

I *don't* think we want per release directories. Because it confuses the
issue on whether or not devstack master can install liberty (which it
can't).

Every local.conf should include a documentation page as well that
describes the scenario, which means these would be easy to snag off the
web docs.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague