[openstack-dev] [magnum][keystone][all] Using Keystone /v3/credentials to store TLS certificates

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 04:07:45 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 8:06 PM, Adrian Otto <adrian.otto at rackspace.com>
wrote:

> Please don't miss the point here. We are seeking a solution that allows a
> location to place a client side encrypted blob of data (A TLS cert) that
> multiple magnum-conductor processes on different hosts can reach over the
> network.
>
> We *already* support using Barbican for this purpose, as well as storage
> in flat files (not as secure as Barbican, and only works with a single
> conductor) and are seeking a second alternative for clouds that have not
> yet adopted Barbican, and want to use multiple conductors. Once Barbican is
> common in OpenStack clouds, both alternatives are redundant and can be
> deprecated. If Keystone depends on Barbican, then we have no reason to keep
> using it. That will mean that Barbican is core to OpenStack.
>
> Our alternative to using Keystone is storing the encrypted blobs in the
> Magnum database which would cause us to add an API feature in magnum that
> is the exact functional equivalent of the credential store in Keystone.
> That is something we are trying to avoid by leveraging existing OpenStack
> APIs.

Is it really unreasonable to make Magnum depend on Barbican? I know I
discussed this with you previously, but I would like to know how much
pushback you're really seeing on saying "Barbican is important for these
security reasons in a scaled-up environment and here is why we made this
choice to depend on it". Secure by default is far better than an option
that is significantly sub-optimal.

So, is Barbican support really hampering Magnum in significant ways? If so,
what can we do to improve the story to make Barbican compelling instead of
needing this alternative?

+1 to Dolph's comment on Barbican being more mature *and* another +1 for
the comment that credentials being un-encrypted in keystone makes storing
secure credentials in keystone significantly less desirable.

These questions are intended to just fill in some blanks I am seeing so we
have a complete story and can look at prioritizing work/specs/etc.