[openstack-dev] [all][stackalytics] Gaming the Stackalyticsstats

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Mon Apr 11 08:50:56 UTC 2016

> From: Masayuki Igawa <masayuki.igawa at gmail.com>
> Date: 04/11/2016 03:20 AM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [all][stackalytics] Gaming the Stackalytics
stats

> > On 4/10/2016 6:37 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> >>
> >> Excerpts from Matt Riedemann's message of 2016-04-09 06:42:54 -0700:

> >> Why is disagreement a negative thing? IMO, reviewers who agree too
much
> >> are just part of the echo chamber.

> > I'm not saying disagreement is a negative thing, I was saying there
are
> > times when I've seen people -1 for crazy nits, e.g. there should be a
blank
> > line between the bug ref and change-id in the commit message, or for
asking
> > questions for understanding (which, btw, I'm fine with -1 for 'add a
comment
> > because this is complicated and I didn't get it at first'). And I'm
also not
> > crazy about piling on or agreeing with everything either. My point is
> > think it's appropriate in a lot of cases to just not vote but still
comment.

> I think we have some/many implicit rules for our review. There's a
> document[1] for review
> but it doesn't mention crazy nits. So should we add what we don't want
> to see people -1 for?
>
> [1] http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html#peer-review

My basic rule of thumb for voting is:

    vote | translates to
    ---------------------
      -1 |  "I understand the code and your change and I'd rather not
         |  maintain it. My reasons are [...] and suggestions are [...]."
      +1 |  "I understand the code and your change. It improves the
            project and I'd maintain it."
       0 |  "I don't get the code or your change. My questions are [...]."

If it already has at least one +2, I (usually) ignore it. The change
already has attention from the cores, it is unlikely that I can add
more valuable feedback to that change.

I don't break (-1) for typos/nits. Ask the author for a follow-up patch.

Regards, Markus Zoeller (markus_z)