[openstack-dev] Constant attempts from Matthew Kassawara to remove Debian from the install-guide

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Apr 8 20:16:05 UTC 2016

On 04/08/2016 07:47 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
> On 04/08/2016 11:47 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Another thing is that the Debian packages are the only ones available
>> for many services, as Canonical doesn't work on them (these packages are
>> just sync from Debian, at best). So we'd be effectively removing the
>> only OS where it can be installed.
>
> Saying that it's the only OS where some packages can be installed is not
> nice to the other packagers /s
>
> -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)

I'm not trying to attack any other package maintainer. I get on well
with all of them. Those I know: Corey & David from Canonical, Haikel,
Alan and Mathias from RedHat / RDO.

I'm very sorry that I don't know the Gentoo people. Are you going to Austin?

Now, what you wrote made me investigate.

Because I discussed it with Canonical package maintainers to get these
synced from Debian to Ubuntu, I know this list of package available in
Debian, and either not available in Ubuntu, or synced from the Debian
packages:

  *  congress
  *  gnocchi
  *  magnum
  *  mistral
  *  murano
  *  sahara
  *  senlin
  *  zaqar

A quick search on packages.gentoo.org shows no results for them, so I
don't think it's there (let me know if I'm wrong).

In this list above, Congress, Murano and Senlin aren't packaged in RDO.
The others are there, seemingly (I didn't search for too long).

So yeah, some packages really are only available in Debian, at least for
this Mitaka release.

The point here isn't to make me (or Debian) look better. It is to say
it's important to have Debian documented in the install-guide. This came
truth today, when a Magnum contributor asked me about contributing to
the install-guide. He's the one who pointed to Matthew's commit removing
my contributions to the install-guide.

I strongly believe the install-guide should follow the all-inclusive, in
big-tentish spirit that we currently have. Rejection of contributions
isn't welcome. And by the way, RedHat / RDO people didn't enjoy much the
removal of their distro just before the Liberty release. This is a very
dangerous slope. If one don't care about Debian and it's removal from
the install-guide, probably this someone cares about the wrong spirit,
and the "we decide what goes in" atmosphere who's been in the doc team
for the last few years.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)