[openstack-dev] [devstack][neutron] Eliminating the DevStack layer

Doug Wiegley dougwig at parksidesoftware.com
Fri Apr 8 19:37:24 UTC 2016

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 1:28 PM, Sean M. Collins <sean at coreitpro.com> wrote:
>
> Assaf Muller wrote:
>> I do want to say that ML2's "mechanism_drivers" option probably does
>> not have a default for the same reason we do not have a default for
>> the core_plugin value, we don't want to play favorites. From Neutron's
>> point of view, ignoring the existence of Devstack and upstream CI, I
>> think that makes sense.
>>

> True, I do see your point.
>
> I do however think, that if you do pick the ML2 plugin as your
> core_plugin, it should have some mechanism drivers enabled by default. You
> shouldn't have to pick core_plugin, then be forced to pick
> mechanism_drivers. I'd rather see some mechanism_drivers already
> enabled, and if you have a difference in opinion, set mechanism_drivers
> in your local.conf.

I previously thought that a default there made no sense, but really, how is a default core plugin of ml2 with a default mech of local going to hurt anyone?

We had a big argument of whether to have a default DNS resolver… 8.8.8.8 leaks internal info to a third-party, hypervisor default potentially leaks infrastructure details.  Not having a default there at least has some security/privacy implications.

There are likely things that we can start defaulting in a saner way.

doug