[openstack-dev] [nova] FYI: Removing default flavors from nova

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Wed Apr 6 17:29:21 UTC 2016

> Ops != Cloud App developers. We've really made the latter's job hard,
> and are often increasing the difficulty on them. This pushes them
> away from OpenStack and eliminates a lot of potential users of
> OpenStack, meaning Ops have fewer users then they should. Lets not
> continue this trend. :/

The fact that these flavors were pre-canned is the reason some people
falsely believe that they should be able to specify m1.small on any
cloud and expect it to work. It would be like if we bundled cirros with
nova or glance and people assumed they could always boot a test instance
with a specifically-named cirros image. That would be crazy and is not
at all the stuff that openstack should be trying to standardize, IMHO.
The same applies to arbitrary flavor names.

--Dan