[openstack-dev] [neutron] OVSDB native interface as default in gate jobs

IWAMOTO Toshihiro iwamoto at valinux.co.jp
Wed Apr 6 03:32:04 UTC 2016

At Tue, 5 Apr 2016 12:57:33 -0400,
Assaf Muller wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Sean M. Collins <sean at coreitpro.com> wrote:
> > Russell Bryant wrote:
> >> because they are related to two different command line utilities
> >> (ovs-vsctl vs ovs-ofctl) that speak two different protocols (OVSDB vs
> >> OpenFlow) that talk to two different daemons on the system (ovsdb-server vs
> >> ovs-vswitchd) ?
> >
> > True, they influence two different daemons - but it's really two options
> > that both have two settings:
> >
> > * "talk to it via the CLI tool"
> > * "talk to it via a native interface"
> >
> > How likely is it to have one talking via native interface and the other
> > via CLI?
>
> The ovsdb native interface is a couple of cycles more mature than the
> openflow one, I see how some users would use one but not the other.

The native of_interface has been tested by periodic jobs and seems
pretty stable.

http://graphite.openstack.org/dashboard/#neutron-ovs-native

> > Also, if the native interface is faster, I think we should consider
> > making it the default.
>
> Definitely. I'd prefer to deprecate and delete the cli interfaces and
> keep only the native interfaces in the long run.
>

> > --
> > Sean M. Collins

The native of_interface is definitely faster than the CLI alternative,
but (un?)fortunately that's not a performance bottleneck.

The transition would be a gain, but it comes with uncovering a few
unidentified bugs etc.

Anyway, I'll post an updated version of performance comparison shortly.

--
IWAMOTO Toshihiro