[openstack-dev] [Designate] Tempest Tests - in-repo or separate

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Tue Apr 5 14:25:47 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 05, 2016 at 01:37:21PM +0100, Kiall Mac Innes wrote:
> Agreed on a separate repo.
>
> I'm honestly a little unsure how in-service-repo would ever work long
> term, given that tempest's requirements will match master, and may
> not be compatible with N releases ago's $service requirements..
>
> Thoughts on how that might work, or is it just that no service has had
> an in-repo plugin for long enough to hit this yet?

So this has come up, the plugin interface has been around for a little over a
cycle so some projects have crossed a release boundary already. Although, most
projects don't seem to worry about this and either don't run the plugin on
stable or just haven't thought about it yet. The solution I've been working with
for ironic is to install the project from master inside the tempest tox venv.
I've got a patch up to add the machinery to devstack-gate to enable this:

https://review.openstack.org/297446

But, I agree having the plugin be a separate python package makes this much
easier.

-Matt Treinish