[openstack-dev] [tc][kolla] Change to kolla's release model to gain access to release's website marketing

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Sat Apr 2 17:20:07 UTC 2016

A big correction to this thread below.

On 4/2/16, 10:05 AM, "Steven Dake (stdake)" <stdake at cisco.com> wrote:

>On 4/2/16, 10:01 AM, "Jeremy Stanley" <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>
>>On 2016-04-02 16:13:28 +0000 (+0000), Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
>>[...]
>>> I feel as though we are not permitted to participate in the
>>> marketing that takes place on the releases website
>>[...]
>>
>>I'll refrain from commenting on the rest since I'm not a member of
>>the release team, but I *seriously* hope we've not created a
>>"marketing" portal simply by way of tracking version numbers,
>>changelogs and release schedules. I have a feeling few (if any) of
>>the release team wants to get into the marketing business and I'm
>>happy to help do whatever is in my power to neuter the "marketing
>>potential" for releases.openstack.org so it can be viewed simply as
>>a source of _objective_ technical data.
>>--
>
>It is objective technical data, but atm we are excluded, and people look
>at that objective technical data (like marketing and sales folks) to make
>decisions, so it is by its very nature a marketing resource as well.  If
>we are excluded, sales and marketing folks that make decisions about
>OpenStack deployments may come along and say "not on the website, not
>legitimate".

release:independent projects are rendered on this website [1], and ttx's
review comment was more to put kolla in releases:independent of the
releases repo rather then the mitaka location [1].  I misunderstood ttx's
comments to mean we were completely excluded which is not the case.

That said, release:cycle-with-milestones is still what we want :)

I'd ask people cut me a little slack on this, I am new to the
openstack/releases repository ;)

[1] http://releases.openstack.org/independent.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/297976/