[openstack-dev] [release][all]Release help needed - we are incompatible with ourselves

Davanum Srinivas davanum at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 12:42:48 UTC 2015

Neil,

The effort is to spread the knowledge and skills beyond the "small group of
people who already understand all this" :)

Let me explain a bit. working backwards from what we see.

Most of us have seen the Proposal bot update reviews that get logged
periodically that updates the requirements.txt and test-requirements.txt in
all projects. Now the proposal bot (actually just a jenkins job not a bot)
picks these up from global requirements repo:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/global-requirements.txt

Now who updates that repo? it's a bunch of folks who keep an eye out on the
different python libraries out in the eco system or our own libraries and
figure out if any new version is out or if an old version has problems. So
remember the global-requirements and the project requirements are ranges,
example:

jsonschema>=2.0.0,<3.0.0,!=2.5.0

Next problem is how do we figure out a basic set of pinned
requirements (not ranges) so all jobs pick up the same specific set,
hopefully latest set of libraries...That is maintained in

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/upper-constraints.txt

So who figures out the latest versions etc and updates the
upper-constraints.txt? It's again the same job/bot. example:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/226182/

Some of this is documented here:

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-specs/specs/requirements-management.html

In this specific review that lifeless is pointing out, the bot
calculated a set of specific versions and logged a review for a
specific set of libraries and they failed to work with each other and
the ask was to figure out why they are failing and suggest fixes where
necessary.

Hope that helps?

Thanks,

Dims

PS: For that specific problem from lifeless, mordred already filed
reviews with os-client-config and python-openstackclient so we are
good.