[openstack-dev] [nova] String translations

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Oct 27 20:34:24 UTC 2015

On 10/27/2015 11:34 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 2015-10-27 15:22, Marian Horban wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Today I found review https://review.openstack.org/#/c/236188/.
>> It doesn't look like a code review :)
>
> From gerrit's perspective it is a code review ;) The link in the commit
> message explains the background.
>
>> I'm just wondering...
>> Why does nova contain these huge amount of files with strings?
>
> The changed files are all for translation of the strings that are used
> as part of nova. Doing it this way allows people deploying nova to have
> translated content without extra effort.
>
>> Why don't we move all this staff into some library?
>
> If I understand your suggestion completely, it sounds to me like a lot
> of work for little benefit,
>
> Andreas

Agreed. Including .po files is a pretty standard pattern for open source
projects that want i18n support. Packagers are free to slice these up so
default installs don't support all locales, but doing that in multiple
git repos would just be a bunch of extra complexity for no gain.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net