[openstack-dev] [infra][all] Reviews with a prio label?

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Tue Oct 20 16:09:51 UTC 2015

In ML post [1] I wondered if it would be possible to introduce a new
"prio" label in Gerrit which could help in focusing review efforts to
increase the throughput. With this new post I'd like to discuss if we
think this could be useful. For example, this would allow to create this
query in Gerrit:

    "status:open label:Prio=3"

I was curious how this could look like in Gerrit, which resulted in the
screenshots available at [2]. This would minimize the gap between the
prio of the blueprints/bugs and their commit reviews.

I'm mostly active in Nova, so here a short example of how we currently
try to speed up the merges of trivial fixes:

* contributor "A" spots a review which looks trivial
* contributor "A" copies the review ID into an etherpad
* core reviewer "B" reads the etherpad when possible
* core reviewer "B" does a review too and eventually gives a +W
* core reviewer "B" removes that review from the Etherpad when it merges

This workflow is only necessary because Gerrit does not allow to
categorize reviews, e.g. into a group of "trivial fixes".

I noticed in my "mini poc" that it would be possible to set permissions
to specific label values. Which allows us to have a "trivialfix" prio
which can be set by everyone, but also a "high" prio which can be set
by an automated entity which reuses the priority of the blueprint or
bug report.

Do you think this would speed things up? Or is this just nitpicking on
an already good enough workflow?

Regards,
Markus Zoeller (markus_z)