[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Driver documentation in Ironic

Ruby Loo rlooyahoo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 13:48:24 UTC 2015

Hi Wan-yen,

On 19 October 2015 at 01:46, Wan-yen Hsu <wanyenhsu at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I fully agreed with Ramesh.  There is a need for driver owners to be able
> to quickly update their driver’s document.  Particularly, vendor's drivers
> have strong

What do you mean by 'quickly'? Quicker than it has been in the past I
assume, but what time frame do you think is reasonable?

> dependencies on their platform’s firmware.  For instance, a new release of
> firmware may have impact on vendor’s driver and may require a specific
> firmware settings or some workaround in driver configuration.  Therefore
> driver owners need to be able to update their driver documents to reflect
> support of firmware versions or hardware platforms, document firmware
> issues that have impacts to the drivers, …etc.   Also, as more and more
> features added to the

Driver owners ARE able to update their driver documents by submitting
patches.

> drivers and some features are related, sometimes it requires restructuring
> of the document to make it easier for readers to follow and understand.  I
> would very much

If restructuring is needed to make the documentation better, I would
welcome that very much.

> like to get tech writers to help my driver’s document but with current
> document review process and release schedule, it’s just very hard to do.
> As the result, document quality

suffers.  I really wish that we can give driver owner’s

I don't understand this. If you cannot get tech writers to help with your
driver documentation and your doc quality suffers, how does giving the
driver owner (who presumably wrote the driver doc that is suffering) more
control help? The doc quality will still suffer, won't it?

> more control of their documents and be able to update their driver
> documents when needed.

Perhaps you could define what 'more control' means and how you feel like
you've been restricted from doing this in the past. That would make it
easier for me to try to help come up with something that can address this
issue.

--ruby