[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Driver documentation in Ironic

Ramakrishnan G rameshg87.openstack at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 15:53:18 UTC 2015

Hi All,

This mail is related to driver-specific documentation in Ironic.

First a bit of context.  I work on iLO drivers in Ironic. Our team would
like to document both Ironic driver related stuff (which is related to
Ironic) and hardware related stuff like tested platforms, firmware
information, firmware issues, etc (which is not related to Ironic) in the
documentation. Today we keep it at two places - ironic related one in
ironic tree and (ironic + non-ironic) related one in wiki. It's hard for
both people who work on documentation and people who read this
documentation to update/refer information in two places.  Hence we decided
to raise the review [0] to move the content completely to wiki.  It got
mixed response.  While some people are okay with it, but some others
(including our ptl :)) feel it's worth putting it in-tree and try to
address the problems.

So what all are the problems ?
1) Ability to update the driver documentation not-related to Ironic easily
without waiting.
2) To save some core reviewers time who might not be familiar with the
hardware.

To solve the actual problem of updating the documentation easily while
keeping it in-tree, I checked with infra folks if a subset of a repository
can be +2ed/+Aed by another group.  They confirmed it's not possible
(unless there was a communication gap in that conversation, folks can
correct me if I am wrong).

The following are the options that I can think of to address this:

1) Easy approvals for patches solely related to driver documentation. Once
the driver team feels the documentation is ready, it can be +Aed by a core
team member skipping the normal process of review. Of course, fixing any
comments that come by, but not waiting for the normal rule of 2x+2s.

2) A separate repository for driver documentation controller by driver
developers (a bad idea ??)

3) Allow to push driver documentation to wiki for those who wish to.

Thoughts ???

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/225602/

Regards,
Ramesh